Fabric Covered Altoid Tins

Hello!

It has been quite a while since Zach or I have posted anything on this ol’ blog. We have been busy! I don’t get to do as much crafting as I would like to anymore, but since there is a new Pinterest Challenge, I thought a simple craft would be fun. Actually, I think posting this blog is taking more time than the actual project…

Anyway, one of the items on my Pinterest crafts board is this tutorial. The blog is called Green Bee, and has a lot of fun projects, including this one. Read the tutorial on how she does it, but I did it slightly differently.

photo 4

I used modpodge on the top of the tin, then covered the fabric over it. After it dried, I cut the excess fabric off. I then cut a strip of fabric for the side, and modpodged the tin, then covered the fabric over it. After it dried, I cut the excess fabric off. This whole thing took about 10 minutes. I just need to decide what to put in it… Maybe buttons or something and stash it in my sewing box.

photo 3

Anyway, happy pinning!

Bran and Walnut Muffins

Hey all, this is actually a recipe that we made a while ago. We were looking for an inexpensive, healthy, and easy way to eat breakfast and decided that premaking muffins on the weekend would be our best bet. Sprouts farmer’s market has a great bulk bin section where they sell flours, wheat bran, etc.

A link to the recipe can be found here

We decided to omit the blueberries, and instead put honey coated walnuts in the bottom–very good decision. These muffins turned out moist and tasty, even for several days after we made them! The best part is that even with the walnuts, these guys came out to less than 200 calories a piece and more than filled both Gina and I up with a glass of milk. Also, with those low of calories, you don’t have to feel bad about having a second one.

I know it’s been a while since we posted. We’ve been pretty busy lately, but maybe we can get back into it!

Zach

Meringues with Fresh Berries

I have been seeing meringue cookies around lately, and decided Zach and I should try our hand at them. I have actually never tasted them, so in making these I wasn’t quite sure what to look for.

We used a similar recipe for the meringues as this one, except that we only used one egg white with the appropriate amount of powdered sugar.

The first batch we made came out a little brown, we baked them at 250F as per the book’s instructions. Thanks to our handy dandy Kitchen-Aid mixer, whipping up another batch was not a problem. After further research online, we decided to bake the meringues at 200F (with the door slightly open) rather than 250F. They burned just slightly on the edges, but we took them out as soon as we saw that to prevent further browning. Anyway, read the recipe for a full tutorial. It’s always helpful to read the reviews, also, before attempting the meringues.

After the meringues had cooled, we made a fresh berry drizzle-y syrup. The syrup was simply: water, sugar, strawberries and blackberries cooked over medium-low heat until the berries were soft. After pureeing and straining, this made a nice topping to drizzle over the meringues.

Serve the meringues with the syrup, berries, and a bit of fresh mint, you’ve got either a sweet breakfast or dessert.